September has turned into a major bonsai month for us!
Sunday 9/11: MHBS Annual Picnic and Open Workshop at PFM Bonsai starting at 12 noon
We hope many of you can come, show off your bonsai and remember the woes and joys of this growing season. What to bring?
- Lunch and something yummy to share
- Bonsai to show off and do last minute work on
- YOUR LIST OF BONSAI YOU WILL BE SHOWING—OR EMAIL TO PAULINE NOW PLEASE!
- Elbow grease….we need a couple of people to repaint our bonsai signs for outside the show during the picnic (or come in the morning to do it….call first).
- Your calendar so you can volunteer to help with the show and put it in your schedule
- Ideas for Jon for next year’s programs that you would like the club to do
- Some items to donate to the club’s sale table at the show…please keep live items at home and bring to the show directly (be sure each item has a price).
9/16-18: MHBS Annual Club Show and Sale at the Saratoga Arts Center, Saratoga Springs
If you can help LATE Friday evening (9 to 11 PM) setting up tables, cloths and backgrounds, email or call Pauline. The more that is done Friday evening, the better for us. We only have two hours Saturday morning for set up. Everyone must be ready to move in with their trees, stands, etc by 8 AM on Saturday. There is a drop off in front of the Arts Center but then you must move your car to the lot down the street for the day. The committee will come early to help you unpack. People are needed all day until 5 to host and demo and answer questions. Bring trees to work on. Sunday, we are open at 10 AM. Watering may be done at 9 AM.
Cleanup starts at 4PM and we will be out by 5 so we need MANY hands to accomplish this.
Note: David Knittle has just been added to our vendor list….stands and more.
PLEASE REMEMBER WE DISPLAY ALL LEVELS OF BONSAI WORK, SO WE EXPECT AT LEAST ONE BONSAI FROM EACH MEMBER. PLEASE EMAIL OR CALL PAULINE OR MOLLY TO VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME AND TREES.
The show has always been a weekend of bonsai fun and friends, please consider coming for the weekend.
WHAT CAN YOU VOLUNTEER FOR?
- Bringing bonsai to show
- Bringing bonsai items to donate for the club sales tables or to sell for yourself giving the club 10% (please clearly label all items with your 3 initials and price)
- Setting up Friday 9 to 11 PM, Saturday 8 AM to 10 AM
- Hosting 10 AM to 5 PM both days
- Helping with “Make a Bonsai Workshops”
- Working at the club sales and information tables
- Watering bonsai as needed, especially 9 AM on Sunday
- Help with take down Sunday at 4 PM
9/25: Boon Manakitivipart from California at PFM Bonsai
Boon will be coming to MHBS for this special added-on event. From 9AM to Noon, there will be a bring your own tree workshop for 8 people. The fee is $50. Call or email Pauline to sign up. First come basis.
After lunch, Boon will teach and demonstrate by creating the first steps in bonsai design on a club provided tree. The tree will be raffled (club members only may purchase raffle tickets). Be sure to bring some bonsai for the show table. Remember, show trees receive a free raffle ticket.
New people are always welcome to the demonstrations. Silent observers are welcome at the morning workshop.
HELP IS NEEDED IN TRANSPORTING BOON TO AND FROM OUR CLUB. PLEASE CONTACT PAULINE IF YOU CAN HELP.